“The so-called 'Left-Hand Path' - that of Kaulas, Siddhas and Viras - combines the... Tantric worldview with a doctrine of the Übermensch which would put Nietzsche to shame... The Vira - which is to say: the 'heroic' man of Tantrism - seeks to sever all bonds, to overcome all duality between good and evil, honor and shame, virtue and guilt. Tantrism is the supreme path of the absolute absence of law - of shvecchacarī, a word meaning 'he whose law is his own will'." ― Julius Evola, The Path of Cinnabar.

“It is necessary to have “watchers” at hand who will bear witness to the values of Tradition in ever more uncompromising and firm ways, as the anti-traditional forces grow in strength. Even though these values cannot be achieved, it does not mean that they amount to mere “ideas.” These are measures…. Let people of our time talk about these things with condescension as if they were anachronistic and anti-historical; we know that this is an alibi for their defeat. Let us leave modern men to their “truths” and let us only be concerned about one thing: to keep standing amid a world of ruins.” ― Julius Evola, Revolt Against the Modern World: Politics, Religion, and Social Order in the Kali Yuga.

“We are born into this time and must bravely follow the path to the destined end. There is no other way. Our duty is to hold on to the lost position, without hope, without rescue, like that Roman soldier whose bones were found in front of a door in Pompeii, who died at his post during the eruption of Vesuvius because someone forgot to relieve him. That is greatness. That is what it means to be a thoroughbred. The honorable end is the one that can not be taken from a man.” ― Oswald Spengler, Man and Technics: A Contribution to a Philosophy of Life.

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Primordial Tradition, personal trivia

[This was posted elsewhere some time ago, thought I would archive it here]

I would describe myself as having "converted" to "Tradition" in a very specific sense. The term "convert" comes from Middle English (in the sense ‘turn around, send in a different direction’): from Old French convertir, based on Latin convertere ‘turn around,’ from con- ‘altogether’ + vertere ‘turn.’ Roman military commanders would shout "convert" to marching troops to order them to change direction.

Although Evola's work is central to just about everything I'm working on for the past few years, Evola did not "convert" me. I was dismissive of Evola for a long time mostly due to his popularity among music subcultures (music subcultures are intrinsically a huge turn off) and fruity "movement" types. I became interested in Evola primarily because of his politics and metaphysics of history once I realized he wasn't merely a re-branded Theosophist (like most of the "Nazi Occultism" tripe), only to discover his esoteric material is more interesting and important than its merely "political" dimension. There is no understanding Evola's politics without understanding his "philosophical" and metaphysical foundations in "Tradition" which means there is no understanding Evola without understanding Guenon (and no understanding Guenon without understanding Advaita metaphysics and traditional Vedic/Puranic cosmological doctrines). Evola did not "convert" me, Guenon did.

There is a very short list of books that I read at exactly the right time in my life, but mostly because they helped me understand philosophical problems I was having and mostly confirmed my perspective on things. (Perfect examples being PD Ouspensky's Tertium Organum [re time/space] when I was about 17 years old, and Heidegger's Being & Time [re death/mortality] when I was about 20). But Guenon's books The Crisis of the Modern World and The Reign of Quantity & The Signs of the Times are the only books I can say actually CHANGED my perspective in a radical way, even if by only turning on a clear light and providing assembly schematics for other (traditional) material I'd been working with most of my life. Where Guenon and Evola differ in interpretation, I generally agree with Evola or see ways of reconciliation. "Tradition" is the most authentic and coherent explanatory foundation for just about anything that actually concerns me.

The insipid chatterbox "marketplace of ideas" is demolished and the ground salted.

JDS

http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/Perennial_Traditionalism

No comments: