“The so-called 'Left-Hand Path' - that of Kaulas, Siddhas and Viras - combines the... Tantric worldview with a doctrine of the Übermensch which would put Nietzsche to shame... The Vira - which is to say: the 'heroic' man of Tantrism - seeks to sever all bonds, to overcome all duality between good and evil, honor and shame, virtue and guilt. Tantrism is the supreme path of the absolute absence of law - of shvecchacarī, a word meaning 'he whose law is his own will'." ― Julius Evola, The Path of Cinnabar.

“It is necessary to have “watchers” at hand who will bear witness to the values of Tradition in ever more uncompromising and firm ways, as the anti-traditional forces grow in strength. Even though these values cannot be achieved, it does not mean that they amount to mere “ideas.” These are measures…. Let people of our time talk about these things with condescension as if they were anachronistic and anti-historical; we know that this is an alibi for their defeat. Let us leave modern men to their “truths” and let us only be concerned about one thing: to keep standing amid a world of ruins.” ― Julius Evola, Revolt Against the Modern World: Politics, Religion, and Social Order in the Kali Yuga.

“We are born into this time and must bravely follow the path to the destined end. There is no other way. Our duty is to hold on to the lost position, without hope, without rescue, like that Roman soldier whose bones were found in front of a door in Pompeii, who died at his post during the eruption of Vesuvius because someone forgot to relieve him. That is greatness. That is what it means to be a thoroughbred. The honorable end is the one that can not be taken from a man.” ― Oswald Spengler, Man and Technics: A Contribution to a Philosophy of Life.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

I DREAM ABOUT BOOKS

I DREAM ABOUT BOOKS {From Friday, May 30, 2008}
I pay close attention to my dreams. I've read Jung since my early teens and have always found my dreams to be an essential primary source of insight and information.

I don't make it a point to remember ALL of my dreams, because I don't think I should remember all of my dreams. I think many things are worked out on their own level without the need of intruding into waking consciousness, and I think things that need to intrude into waking consciousness stand out in contrast. By loosely paying attention to my dreams, the ones that really matter are the ones strong enough to breach the memory barrier after waking.

Last night I had one of the best dreams within recent memory.

There were no people in this dream.

I was alone in a huge used bookstore that was a composite of every bookstore I had ever owned or operated. It was locked up after hours and the assumption was that I had free run and could keep whatever I picked out for myself.

I walked through the main area of the bookstore into a room that corresponded to an area of a previous bookstore called "The Mind, Body, Spirit" room which contained nothing but books on philosophy, psychology, occultism, eastern religion, western religion, health, martial arts, fitness, etc.

This room was overly well-lit with florescent lights. Everything was neat, clean, and in order. Every wall was lined floor to ceiling with bookcases, and there were bookcases in the middle of the room. All of the books were in perfect condition, and all were what seemed to be the newest editions of reprinted books as well as the newest books in each subject, which was very disappointing to me. I prefer older books.

In one area of the room there were fine bindings of books that I already have, including a few favorites. I spent some time looking at them before deciding they were just furniture because I was already familiar with the books and had no need of them just for the sake of a shiny new fancy binding.

For some reason there was also a selection of DVDs including a lot of my favorite movies in elaborate and impressive packaging. I passed on all these.

I left the room and went into another part of the store that led to a LONG dark hallway, itself lined with bookcases, but also with MANY doorways into other rooms CRAMMED to capacity with bookshelves filled with books, books crammed in on top the books on the shelves, and stacks of books on the floors. Each of these rooms were dimly lit by a bare light-bulb hanging from the ceiling. Everything was covered with a thick layer of dust. Many of the books were old, disheveled, damaged, or falling apart.

The hallway itself was only lit indirectly by the dim light in each room, and seemed to generally descend the farther down the hall I went - not from design but as if it were an extremely old building sagging with age.

At the end of the hallway there was one last room that opened off to the right, It was extremely narrow and dark, with only a little bit of light coming in from a window that was covered with a bookcase. This room was extremely dusty and only had a few books scattered on the shelves along with a number of disintegrating boxes. One box looked like it contained cassette tapes, so I reached in to see what they were. They were very small books that disintegrated to dust from age as I picked them up.

On the shelf was one extremely thick dark gray book that I remember being a cross between an incunabula type binding that the vellum had contracted tightly on the spine and something along the lines of the old blue Oxford University Press books. I was very attracted to the size and shape of the book and was glad to see that it felt like it was still tightly bound and not disintegrating.

I opened the book to the title page, which read "THE COMPLETE WORKS OF CICERO."

I flipped through the book and was relieved that it was all in English, but definitely set in an early 16th century style typeface.

THIS was the book. This was the only book I was going to take from this deep cavernous old bookstore.

At this point I woke up feeling very rested and content.

Needless to say, I'll be reading Cicero this week.

An interesting aspect of dreams is how they usually reveal something alien or push a shift of perspective. For example, if this were just a story composed consciously, I would have picked Lucretius rather than Cicero for the contents of the key book. Aside from his work on rhetoric and some of his letters, I'm not that familiar with Cicero. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

JDS

1 comment:

cherring109 said...

It is well known that America is in decline, you know this as we'll as I do, though your insights into the subject proves that you know more.

Cicero's philosophy had a profound impact on our Founding Fathers, perhaps their is a bit of eternal recurrence revealed through the subconscious, no?

From Wikipedia: "After the civil war, Cicero recognized that the end of the Republic was almost certain. He stated that "the Republic, the Senate, the law courts are mere ciphers and that not one of us has any constitutional position at all."

Perhaps others have had similar dreams?